Tuesday 14 December 2010

Travelling...


Over my years of riding, I’ve heard more than a few people say the line, “you travel half way around the world to ride in a car park , are you mad?”, essentially yes, but actually it’s so more than that, nothings ever black and white like that. Take this two week vacation in California for example, I rode so many different spots over the two weeks, met a ton of cool riders along the way, I rode 4-5 hours everyday in 70F weather whilst the UK was laid in snow, I was living the dream. As I type this, I’m 35,000 feet above the atlantic on the return flight back to London, and Dj Deckstream ft Mos Def “life is good” has just dropped, quite fitting. Travelling I also found makes you appreciate being home when you return, perhaps it just freshens things up. Whilst I was taking a rest from riding with achilles tendonitis in October/November, Martti Kuoppa told me “don’t worry flatland will be right there waiting for you when you return”, and the same is true of your riding spot(s), your riding spot(s) more often than not will be right there waiting for you to bust out when you return. (providing the weather is not to bad). You always appreciate your home spot even more when you return.


At this point I would like to send a big thanks out to Bobby Carter for being an amazing host during my stay in Hollywood California, to all the Cali riders I met and rode with, all the out of town riders I met up with again (John Yull (my old Hutch team-mate, Terry and Travis, One love crew).
I guess my point is get out there and see the world, save them pennies, do it whilst you can! If you want it, you can make it happen! Where there’s a will there’s a way and all that! Memories last forever!

Motivated for 2011, hopefully my ankle holds out!
Thanks to flatland for all the memories, long may this continue on!
Flatmatters.

4 comments:

Pralex Gorier said...

Glad to hear your trip went well, E.

And I definitely agree with you on a lot of what you just said. Traveling is a lot more doable than most people realize, if you want it bad enough.

I've been able to travel loads over the past few years (slowing down a bit now now that I got myself a desk job), and its all been because it was something that I was interested in and actively pursued, and the opportunities that came to me in that chase.

Cheers E, to many more trips for you in the future.

Prasheel

PS: I sent Bo a bunch of stickers, which I was hoping would arrive to him while you were still there. Email me your mailing address at prasheelg at yahoo dot com and I'll get some out to you.

Anonymous said...

That was deep Eff. I enjoyed that.

FLATmode said...

Making dreams reality!

flatmatters said...

@ Prasheel, Terry, and Bobby..
Thanks for the feedback! Travelling definitely broadens the mind. Hope to see you in 2011 at some point. Glad you all enjoyed the editorial. Much more of this kind of thing to come in the future.